Friday, March 13, 2015

More Surprises

One thing I've learned in my years of "wrenching" on TRIUMPHS is you really never know when the last guy put his tools down and the For Sale sign up. A lot of factors played into the oversights I mentioned in the last posting. Even now for me, I can only work on the car on the weekends so where I left off last Sunday might escape me the next Saturday when I pick up the wrenches again. 

Surprise! Custom main bearing caps!
What I mean by this is, for example, it's easy to replace the timing cover bolts Sunday night and not be able to fire up the motor till the next weekend or maybe even two weekends later. So things like the longer bolt might not get noticed at all because it may have happened weeks ago or maybe it was the last thing done and remained untested and the For Sale sign went on.

Surprise! Venoila Pistons!
This blog for me is to be an accounting of what I find wrong, right and amazing about this car and so far I have found all three. My hope is that in reading these postings it might help someone else check over there newly acquired purchase. It's one Helluva leap of faith to jump into a car and blaze it down a race track not knowing if that "one bolt didn't quite get tighten" before the wife called me in for dinner. 

Surprise! Double row vernier timing chain gear set


Some of the "SURPRISES" I have found so far are the crazy beefy custom main bearing caps, the Venolia pop-up pistons, the double row vernier timing chain gear set. I'm sure there are more surprises ahead but the one I look forward to the most is the surprised look I'll have on my face when I get this great car on the track! 

No comments:

Post a Comment